Monday, February 3, 2014

The Highlight Reel

In my "Wow" post I quoted my friend who mentioned "The Highlight Reel". That's how she thinks of her Instagram account. The best in her life. I'd say that's the majority of what we all post to social media. The good, pretty, special, endearing moments in our lives, regardless of the number of "friends" or "followers" we have. 



Silly selfies with my Bubby Boo.




The obligatory cute boots in snow. 
 



Fabulous food
(spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, pan roasted brussel sprouts, grilled chicken and hummus... although someone pointed out that the top piece of chicken looks like a cow looking right at the camera!)

I see nothing wrong with having a highlight reel. Be thankful and positive for all to see!  But as with all things, it comes down to intentions. And maybe in the case of social media it comes down to the intentions of the "friend" or "follower" more than the owner of the highlight reel. 

For me, I connect with my "friends" and I gain inspiration from those I "follow". And when I'm looking at social media, there are times I have to remind myself of those things as I feel that subconscious "social media induced depression" start to kick in. I remind myself why I'm "there" rather than simply switching over to Candy Crush or my email or deciding to shut it down because it puts my perspective back where I want it. Back to connecting or being inspired. 

Another thing about this highlight reel... I have one and it's completely staged and cropped and filtered. Rarely am I able to claim #nofilter or #noedit there.  If you just looked at my personal Instagram account you'd think everything was nice, tidy, fashionable, cute and snuggly. I can assure you it's not. Those pictures of clutter on the blog's Instagram and Facebook accounts are from my own home. I definitely don't need to go far to find less than perfect things! Here's my most recent post that participates in the most recent @uneditedlifeproject photo challenge #uneditedselfie: 



I have a few convenient reasons for not wearing my outfits when I post them. 1. I don't own a full length mirror in an area with enough light to get a picture. 2. I can't imagine what my husband would say if I asked him to take a picture of me for my outfit post every day! He's not a big fan of social media (doesn't even have a Facebook account!). 3. I know that laying out my outfits is easier to see and more appealing in photos.

But the less convenient, more difficult to deal with reasons for not posting the "full body shot" (yes, read it like Kip from Napoleon Dynamite) are 1. My hair is pretty much always up in a pony tail or clip because this momma ain't got time for doin' hair, and I haven't mastered the top knot. (Ok, I haven't even attempted the top knot.) 2. This would also mean that I'd need to put on makeup at an inconvenient-for-me time of day. 3. (This one is the REAL reason) I've had 3 kids, all by c-section, and haven't been able to get back into shape.  Honestly, it's been brutal on me because it's so much harder to find the time to exercise and prep meals to help me get back to where I need to be. It's frustrating. At times I'm so disappointed with myself. The last thing I want is pictures of me looking the way I do. 


So there it is, folks. My #uneditedselfie and my big plan. Wish me luck... I hope to be posting results to my highlight reel soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment