Saturday, August 16, 2014

Social Media Melee

Dr. Kent Brantly tests positive for Ebola; evacuated to US for treatment

Actor Robin Williams commits suicide at age 63

Police shooting in Ferguson, Missouri leaves one man dead; sparks protests, riots and looting

Israel and Palestinians still unable to reach agreement

The list of headlines could go on and on. 

The media hasn't had to put many human interest stories out there the past few weeks. There have been some crazy things happening in the world. I'm not going to share my opinions on the headlines here. I'm going to share my opinions on what I've seen in social media about the headlines. And let me tell you, it's not good. I've seen more anger, ignorance and racism than I could digest. 

And what I want to say is, didn't your mother ever teach you, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"? Even better, if you don't have something intelligent or constructive to say, don't say anything. Because sometimes the truth isn't nice, but it doesn't have to be delivered hurtfully or in anger (with or without spelling errors).

Social media depression can be induced by all the pretty things we see that we think are better than the real lives we live (which is why I started this blog), but sometimes that depression is brought on by our own collective ugliness. 

Everyone feels free to update their status, tweet or post their passionate opinions on the latest story, and then they're off the hook. They can put down the phone, walk away and leave the rest of us to see their social media vomit. And when everyone is vomiting, it's disgusting.

I know we all come across unintelligent and ignorant things on Facebook that are mostly just for fun (read: "Like this post and see what happens!" Or "What Disney princess are you? I got Ariel.") But when it's about REAL issues, maybe do a little research first, then give your opinion, if you absolutely must. Hearing someone has tested positive for Ebola and is coming to the US for treatment may be important to you, but really only if you know what Ebola is, how it's treated, where it's from, how it's contracted, who now has it, where they're going and all that. One of the best things I saw recently was an article urging everyone to stop speculating and wait for Dr. Brantly to share his story. And I agree because, seriously, no one cares what you would or would not do to contain a deadly virus nor are we interested in your opinion about Dr. Brantly's choices.

The worst comments I've seen on social media, EVER, were on a news channel's Facebook posts about the man shot by police in Ferguson. Wow. The racism was rampant on both sides. The cop haters and supporters alike slinging profanities as if they help validate their positions, when, in fact, the opinions shared only fan the flames of tension, racism and general mistrust. Way to go, everyone. Your social media melee has done nothing for creating peace or racial equality. It's just an angry online riot, and I think we can all do without it. 

In short, I'm calling for an end to social media vomit and rioting. I'm not saying everything shared needs to be roses, cats and recipes. I not saying you shouldn't share your opinions on important (or unimportant) issues. But stay classy. And remember, if you don't have anything nice (or intelligent or constructive) to say, refrain from clicking "post". And proof-reading and spell check wouldn't hurt either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment